Maximum City – Maximum Rain

We were in Mumbai – the Maximum City – over four days this week and had planned to look around, take walks and generally experience life in a metropolis – a city that never sleeps.
We were hoping for some rain just to experience what it was like during the monsoons but were assured there would be little, if at all, this time of the year, especially after the Ganesh Chaturti festival.Though this wasn’t my first trip to India’s commercial capital, it was one during which I hoped to spend the maximum time on myself. But that was not to be.
A walk in the Fort area was planned; I wanted to go inside the historical Victoria Terminus Station and ho around the famous Horniman Circle to explore the old buildings. Of course, a walk around the Gateway of India, the Marine Drive, the iconic Taj Mahal Hotel and a drink at the well-known one 150-year old Leopold Cafe were planned as well.
But the rain started to come down a couple of hours after we landed and it was still pouring buckets when we left four days later, which meant we were drenched wherever we went in spite of investing in rather flowery, but flimsy, umbrellas at the Gateway of India.
I did not, however, miss my favourite haunt – the booksellers at the Fort – and invested quite a packet in procuring a few invaluable publications. A visit to the Gateway of India and the Marine Drive also happened and so did the drink (a cold coffee) and Fish and Chips at the Leopold Cafe.
We missed out on Mumbai’s legendary street food, the traditional markets as well as a fun ride in the Mumbai Local on a Sunday.
Perhaps, soon, a visit during the “winters” is on the cards when, of course, it won’t be as wet and the weather will also be somewhat “cool” without the rain.

16 Comments Add yours

1. pranavvaidya says:

Hope you enjoyed the rains though! We Mumbaikars love the rain, bigger buckets the better!!!

Liked by 1 person

1. Yes, we did. In retrospect, if it weren’t for the rain, it would’ve been very hot!

2. arv! says:

Looks like you’ve experienced what Mumbai is infamous for -incessant rains! I’m sure you’ll be able to experience the rest during your next trip! πŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

1. Yes, of course. This wasn’t my first trip to Mumbai but surely the wettest!

1. arv! says:

I have stories of people traveling to Mumbai from gulf to experience rains! Don’t know if it’s true!

Liked by 1 person

2. True. 100 per cent! Travel agents here have ‘rain tourism’ packages for Arab travellers!

3. arv! says:

wow! everything sells in this world! πŸ™‚

4. πŸ™‚

3. arv! says:

Lovely pictures!

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you. iPhone pictures are pretty good!

1. arv! says:

Indeed! Camera..
        Always at your beck and call πŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

2. Unfortunate was unable to use my Nikon in such conditions so it stayed in the bag πŸ™‚

3. arv! says:

The cellphone pictures are good too! Although technically a camera can do a better job! πŸ™‚

Liked by 1 person

4. Agree. But the rain put paid to that!

4. thatmishmash says:

Read ! I love Horniman circle . You should try the Parsi food around fort ( if you havent already !)
    Umbrellas are no match for the strong winds ..hahaha !
    Leopold cafe….now I want to go there , may be tomorrow ..or may be Kayanis…I love that place better πŸ™‚ heheh old style !

Liked by 1 person

1. The umbrellas were NOT effective, as you can see. But Leopold gave a very ‘period’ and quaint look.