Carpet of pine

IMG_1407These large pine trees, so common in the hills of Northern India, typically thrive at high altitudes and present a beautiful ‘looking up’ sight in the summer months. Strangely, though, during winters, they are listless and droopy, perhaps shivering in extremely cold conditions and the ‘weight’ of constant snowfall. This picture was taken during an earlier summer trip to Kasauli, in Himachal Pradesh state.
The visit brought back memories of when, as college students, we trekked in the area every other month. The greatest feeling then was walking along the mountain track surrounded by these gigantic trees and their constant ‘hissing’ sound, more like a million snakes making that sound all at one time.
The other memory is that of the peculiar smell of pine, something that we now experience in aerosol room fresheners and disinfectants. But, of course, they are only memories.
If only we could turn the clock back but, as they say, there’s no rewind button on life!

10 Comments Add yours

1. hbhatnagar says:

True, but Kasauli’s pines are still there, swishing in the wind…. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. singhcircle says:

Yes, of course, they are. I took this picture last July!

Liked by 1 person

1. hbhatnagar says:

I loved driving there on the bike…somehow car drives aren’t as much fun, maybe coz we were younger then…:)

Liked by 1 person

2. singhcircle says:

Riding is always more fun than driving

Liked by 1 person

2. priyankamoraes says:

I love pines ……last may I was hopping out of the cat each time I saw pine cones down by the road. My driver was amused with this queer collection drive . I got back home and three months later I received a small box from Anu ….It was full of pine cones…..am so glad they sit pretty in my pot pourri bowl ….no need for these artificial fragrances ….until my next trip up north. You revived some wonderful memories !

Liked by 1 person

1. singhcircle says:

Thank you. The mountains are lovely!

3. writenlive says:

The smell of pine trees and the cool mountain air make my day… any time, any day 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. singhcircle says:

The hills are magical any day!

Liked by 1 person

4. Hey, I liked your description of pine trees buy would have loved if you could share some touchy moments ofnyout childhood. The way you guys used to look at these gigantic pine trees. When any of your friend smoked a cigarette behind them. Memories that remains solid. Love reading your blog will come back soon.

Liked by 1 person

1. singhcircle says:

Thank you. Will write more as we go along.

Liked by 1 person